Thursday, September 11, 2008

Reflections on September 11th




I feel I need to write something on this seventh anniversary of September 11, 2001. I remember vividly that tragic day of just a few years ago. It seems like only yesterday, and yet seven years have gone by. My twins were exactly two months old that day and I felt so tired, no, so exhausted, that I felt like there was no end in sight for me. And then I remember turning on the news, it was already afternoon and seeing the replays that would be shown the entire day. It didn't seem real. The twin towers... gone. I hadn't ever been to New York, so those majestic buildings weren't a reality to me in the first place. All pictures, interent images. But watching them fall made them real in just those few seconds. The reality slowly seeping in. And the reality of how easy I had it. Sleepless nights from two crying babies seemed insignificant to the future sleepless nights of those who had lost their babies, no matter the age. How good we had it here in this small town. How safe I felt even though the threat could be anywhere. I felt very blessed. I also felt anguish for those who were lost. Sorrow for families they left behind. Tragic loss for those who risked their lives to save others. And pride for American's everywhere who pulled together in prayer and who, regardless of what others tried to do, still had hope.





We are Americans! I am an American. I am a proud American who, like so many others, won't be discouraged. I was so proud how we rose above, and how we will always remember. I felt pride for our city of Delta and the flags all along Main Street. I felt humble appreciation seeing the firetruck with the tallest flag of all blowing in the breeze. I felt pride when I hung our flag off our porch this morning. We will never forget!

No comments: